Shedding on a lace wig is to be expected due to the fact that the hair is hand tied by a single knot (sometimes a double knot) to the lace material. To ensure that shedding is minimized, GK DREAMHAIR uses a technique to further secure our Lace wig. While this does not completely eliminate the problem of shedding, it does significantly minimize excessive knot slippage. Excessive shedding can cause thinning of the hair and bald patches on your unit. To minimize these effects it is very important that proper care is taken at home during combing, styling and everyday use. We strongly advise that you straighten your hair immediately after purchasing it. We also advise that the straightening be done by a professional hair stylist. Below are things to avoid.
Causes for Shedding Balding/Thinning
- Combing your lace wig while it is still wet after washing and conditioning
- Roughness while combing and washing/handing your lace wig
- Using very oily or greasy hair care products on your unit
- Not thoroughly removing adhesives from your unit prior to washing
- Using hot or very warm water when washing your unit
- Combing your wig from root to tip instead of from tip to root.
Below are a few maintenance techniques which will help prevent excessive hair shedding.
- Do Not Scratch your scalp through your lace wig as this will cause shedding. Instead, pat your head with your hand or remove your unit and treat your scalp with anti-itch shampoo and then moisturize your scalp.
- Use a wide tooth comb or wig brush (cushion brush). Comb from the tip up while holding the hair above so that you will avoid pulling at the knots.
- Never comb your lace wig while wet. Prior to washing the hair make sure you comb it out thoroughly.
- Avoid using care products with high Alcohol content i.e Spritz, Hair Spray, Shampoos etc. These products can damage the hair causing breakage and/or shedding.
- You must thoroughly remove glue residue from our wig. Letting adhesives build up on your unit will cause shedding
- Do not Blow Dry or Sit under a dryer with heat. We highly recommend letting your unit air dry after washing. If you must blow dry, make sure it is on a cool setting and heat protector is used. Blow Dryer heat will damage/Split the knots causing shedding.
- When sleeping in your unit it is best to braid up your hair so it does not tangle while you sleep. You should gently comb your unit out each night prior to wrapping it up in the scarf. Also, it is very important that you wrap a silk or satin scarf or bonnet around your head, this will help to prevent friction which will cause breakage and/or shedding.
Caring for your lace wigs/wefts requires proper routine maintenance. The products you use on your lace wigs/wefts are one of the main factors that will determine how healthy the hair on your lace wigs/wefts looks and how long it will last. Most main stream products found at the super market or drug store are not ideal for lace wigs/wefts care. The reason is that these products have a very high alcohol and chemical content which can be detrimental to the hair on your unit. Alcohol severely dries the hair while a high chemical content creates a high alkaline pH which causes tangling.
The pH levels of hair products are one of the least known but most important characteristics of the hair care products you choose to use on your unit. You should always use a product that is pH balanced for optimal feel and styling. The optimal pH range for hair products is from 4 to 6 (which an acidic balance). An acidic shampoo or conditioner causes hair cuticles to lie down, resulting in smooth manageable hair. Alkaline Shampoos & conditioners (high pH above 7) cause the cuticles to raise causing tangled and unmanageable hair.
Lace Front Wig or Front Lace Wig only has lace in the front of the wig and the remainder of the wig is made from a regular netted wig cap. Lace FRONT Wigs are made by individual hand tying strands of hair to a fine lace mesh material. Normal Lace front wigs also have amazing versatility and style flexibility.
Full Lace Wigs” are lace wigs which are designed with the entire wig cap being made from lace allowing for style versatility including multi-directional parting and the ability to style high up dos and ponytails.
360 lace wigs is not a full lace wig. It has lace all around and weft in the middle. This allows you to add more bundles for more volume, unlike the full lace wigs. Perfect for up do’s and ponytails. Our 360 lace wigs are 200 density, thick and full.
All our lace wigs are made perfectly so that it creates an impressive illusion of the hair growing out of the scalp. The lace, once adhered to the skin, virtually vanishes creating a natural looking and flawless hairline. All our lace wigs can be worn glueless, sewn in, or glued. We advise glueless and sewn in. Our lace wigs can be worn by yourself with a band added. Just WEAR AND SLAY.
Our customized hand-made wigs are done in store by professional stylists. Bundles and Lace closures/lace frontals are purchased from us and our professional stylist customizes it into a wig. It takes two hours to do. We add band to enable it secure when you wear it. Wear and slay means that when you receive your wig, you put it yourself and is ready to go. No glue or tape or sew is required. Just WEAR AND SLAY.
Yes! You can braid/cornrow, wrap or flatten hair to wear your lace wigs. The main objective is to get one’s hair as flat as possible for the most natural look. People with no hair can also wear our wigs.
Keep your hair extension and scalp clean! When sweat and dirt build up your hair extension tangles. Use a good quality gentle shampoo and conditioner. We can recommend what products are best for your hair extensions. please free to contact us. Detangle your hair first from the ends to the roots before shampooing. Wash your hair gently in a downward motion (from the roots to the ends). When you’re done rinse your hair thoroughly. Make sure that your hair is clean before you use a gentle hair conditioner. Condition your hair after every wash. Your extensions don’t receive the natural oils from your scalp.
Wig Cap Sizes?
The Majority of us use a MEDIUM size Wig Cap. See the Picture to see how to measure your size.