- MINIMIZING SHEDDING
Shedding on a lace wig is to be expected due to the fact that the hair is hand tied by a single knot (sometimes a double knot) to the lace material. To ensure that shedding is minimized, GK DREAMHAIR uses a technique to further secure our Lace wig. While this does not completely eliminate the problem of shedding, it does significantly minimize excessive knot slippage. Excessive shedding can cause thinning of the hair and bald patches on your unit. To minimize these effects it is very important that proper care is taken at home during combing, styling and everyday use. We strongly advise that you straighten your hair immediately after purchasing it. We also advise that the straightening be done by a professional hair stylist. Below are things to avoid.
Causes for Shedding Balding/Thinning
- Combing your lace wig while it is still wet after washing and conditioning
- Roughness while combing and washing/handing your lace wig
- Using very oily or greasy hair care products on your unit
- Not thoroughly removing adhesives from your unit prior to washing
- Using hot or very warm water when washing your unit
- Combing your wig from root to tip instead of from tip to root.
Below are a few maintenance techniques which will help prevent excessive hair shedding.
- 1. Do Not Scratch your scalp through your lace wig as this will cause shedding. Instead, pat your head with your hand or remove your unit and treat your scalp with anti-itch shampoo and then moisturize your scalp.
- Use a wide tooth comb or wig brush (cushion brush). Comb from the tip up while holding the hair above so that you will avoid pulling at the knots.
- Never comb your lace wig while wet. Prior to washing the hair make sure you comb it out thoroughly.
- Avoid using care products with high Alcohol content i.e Spritz, Hair Spray, Shampoos etc. These products can damage the hair causing breakage and/or shedding.
- You must thoroughly remove glue residue from our wig. Letting adhesives build up on your unit will cause shedding
- Do not Blow Dry or Sit under a dryer with heat. We highly recommend letting your unit air dry after washing. If you must blow dry, make sure it is on a cool setting and heat protector is used. Blow Dryer heat will damage/Split the knots causing shedding.
- When sleeping in your unit it is best to braid up your hair so it does not tangle while you sleep. You should gently comb your unit out each night prior to wrapping it up in the scarf. Also, it is very important that you wrap a silk or satin scarf or bonnet around your head, this will help to prevent friction which will cause breakage and/or shedding.
- CARING FOR YOUR LACE WIGS/WEFTS AND MINIMIZE TANGLING
Caring for your lace wigs/wefts requires proper routine maintenance. The products you use on your lace wigs/wefts are one of the main factors that will determine how healthy the hair on your lace wigs/wefts looks and how long it will last. Most main stream products found at the super market or drug store are not ideal for lace wigs/wefts care. The reason is that these products have a very high alcohol and chemical content which can be detrimental to the hair on your unit. Alcohol severely dries the hair while a high chemical content creates a high alkaline pH which causes tangling.
The pH levels of hair products are one of the least known but most important characteristics of the hair care products you choose to use on your unit. You should always use a product that is pH balanced for optimal feel and styling. The optimal pH range for hair products is from 4 to 6 (which an acidic balance). An acidic shampoo or conditioner causes hair cuticles to lie down, resulting in smooth manageable hair. Alkaline Shampoos & conditioners (high pH above 7) cause the cuticles to raise causing tangled and unmanageable hair.
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OUR FULL LACE WIG / 360 LACE WIG AND A NORMAL LACE FRONT WIG?
Lace Front Wig” or Front Lace Wig only has lace in the front of the wig and the remainder of the wig is made from a regular netted wig cap. Lace FRONT Wigs are made by individually hand tying strands of hair to a fine lace mesh material. Normal Lace front wigs also have amazing versatility and style flexibility.
Full Lace Wigs” are lace wigs which are designed with the entire wig cap being made from lace allowing for style versatility including multi-directional parting and the ability to style high up dos and ponytails.
360 lace wigs is not a full lace wig. It has lace all around and weft in the middle. This allows you to add more bundles for more volume, unlike the full lace wigs. Perfect for up do's and ponytails. Our 360 lace wigs are 200 density, thick and full.
All our lace wigs are made perfectly so that it creates an impressive illusion of the hair growing out of the scalp. The lace, once adhered to the skin, virtually vanishes creating a natural looking and flawless hairline. All our lace wigs can be worn glueless, sewn in, or glued. We advise glueless and sewn in. Our lace wigs can be worn by yourself with a band added. Just WEAR AND SLAY.
- WHAT DOES "WEAR AND SLAY" FOR OUR HAND-MADE (CUSTOMIZED) WIGS MEAN?
Our customized hand-made wigs are done in store by our professional stylists. Bundles and Lace closures/lace frontals are purchased from us and our professional stylist customizes it into a wig. It takes two hours to do. We add a band to enable it to be secure when you wear it. Wear and slay means that when you receive your wig, you put it on by yourself and is ready to go. No glue or tape or sew in is required. Just WEAR AND SLAY.
- WHO WEARS THESE WIGS?
Up until recent years, lace wigs have been worn primarily by actors and people who suffered from hair loss due to medical problems such as Cancer and Alopecia. Now, Lace wigs have exploded into the mainstream hair and beauty scene as more and more people discover their versatility and natural appearance. These wigs have also become increasingly popular among Celebrities and most women.
- CAN I WEAR LACE WIGS IF I HAVE A FULL HEAD OF HAIR?
Yes! You can braid/cornrow, wrap or flatten hair to wear your lace wigs. The main objective is to get one’s hair as flat as possible for the most natural look. People with no hair can also wear our wigs.
- CAN I SWIM IN IT OR PLAY SPORTS?
Yes, you can swim in your lace wig/weft, however, we highly recommend not exposing your lace wig/weft to chlorine and salt water.
You can exercise in your wig/weft. Sweat makes your wig/weft to tangle. We advise that you wash and condition your wig/weft regularly.
- CAN I COLOR THE WIG?
Yes, All our lace wigs are 100% Virgin hair! Virgin hair has not been previously processed or colored and therefore can be colored easily.
- CAN THE HAIR BE FLAT IRONED OR CURLED?
GK DREAMHAIR is 100% Virgin human hair, therefore, you can use curling and flat irons. However, like your natural hair, the hair can get damaged due to overheating. We recommend limiting the use of hot tools on the hair and heat protector. Wet setting the hair and letting it air dry is most preferred. How long your wig stays on will depend largely on what type of adhesive you use and how it responds to your body chemistry. Most of our customers achieve a 1 to 2-week hold with the right adhesive. We do not recommend keeping the wig on for more than two weeks because over extended wears can cause damage to your own hair line. Find an adhesive that works for you and your body chemistry.
- WHAT DENSITY SHOULD I ORDER AND WHY DOES IT MATTER?
Density is defined as how thick or thin the hair on the unit is. The standard and most popular choice is 120% which is Medium Density. The average human head is considered 100% density so 120% is more than normal. Most women achieve a natural appearance with light to medium or medium density; however, your choice will depend on your personal style preference. GK DREAMHAIR stock wigs from 120 to 200 density.
- WHAT IS A 360 LACE FRONTAL?
360 Frontal is a frontal piece that has 360 lace head band which covers the complete hair line around the head. It is open in the centre. You need to add 2-3 bundles depending on how full you want your hair. It has baby hair all around.
- HOW TO CARE FOR VIRGIN HAIR EXTENSIONS
Keep your hair extension and scalp clean! When sweat and dirt build up your hair extension tangles. Use a good quality gentle shampoo and conditioner. We can recommend what products are best for your hair extensions. please free to contact us. Detangle your hair first from the ends to the roots before shampooing. Wash your hair gently in a downward motion (from the roots to the ends). When you’re done rinse your hair thoroughly. Make sure that your hair is clean before you use a gentle hair conditioner. Condition your hair after every wash. Your extensions don’t receive the natural oils from your scalp.
It is better to avoid heat. Heat is one of your hair’s biggest enemy, the more you use it, the shorter your hair extensions will last. It is best to let your hair dry naturally. Use heat protector anytime you want to apply heat to your hair extension.
Use a special brush for hair extensions when brushing your hair (soft bristle brush). It is best to start at the ends of your hair and when all tangles are removed gently work your way up. Always brush in a downward motion. Brush your hair a few times a day.
Hair styling products
Use a good (leave-in) conditioner for curly hair extensions to keep your hair soft. Don’t over do it. Too much conditioner or any other hair care product can cause a build up and tangle. Avoid hair products that contain alcohol. Alcohol makes hair dry.
Confirm with our stylist that all styling products (including shampoo and conditioner) that you use are OK.
When you would like to perm or color your hair, don’t do it yourself. Let our extension stylist take care of all chemical treatments you would like to do. We also recommend applying a little amount of Argan oil.
DON’T sleep on wet hair. Make sure that your hair is completely dry when you go to sleep. A good habit is best to braid up your hair or tie it up in a ponytail so it does not tangle while you sleep. You should gently brush your hair extension out each night prior to wrapping it up in the scarf. Also, it is very important that you wrap a silk or satin scarf or bonnet around your head, this will help to prevent friction which will cause breakage and/or shedding.
Avoid long exposure to chlorine and salt water. Chlorine and salt water can cause the hair to tangle and mat up. It is recommended to wear a swim cap if possible or wear your hair up to keep it out of the water. After swimming it is best to shampoo and condition your hair immediately. In general it is a good habit to wear your hair up or in a ponytail when you exercise.
- WHAT SIZE OF WIG CAP SHOULD I ORDER?